Learning & Development
Learning & Development
An organization’s ability to learn, and translate that learning into action rapidly, is the ultimate competitive advantage. – Jack Welch
Taking care of your own learning is a part of taking charge of your life, which is the sine qua non in becoming an integrated person. – Warren G. Bennis
Perceptions, thoughts, emotions, motivations, inhibitors, reactions, and their related behaviors and actions depend largely on neural networks in the brain that become strengthened over time through repetition and other influences. If new, different behaviors and actions are desired, then new learnings must become integrated into new neural connections in the brain.
For this to occur, more than traditional, cognitive learning is required.
Our approach is successful because we use methodologies and tools that are scientifically validated, combining targeted goal-setting, cognitive learning, experiential learning, and real-world practical application supported by individualized coaching.
Our training and coaching programs are based on a modularized program of scientifically researched tools and processes to achieve and sustain behaviors that result in improved performance. These programs create quantifiable and sustainable improvements in as little as 90 days.
Our method is focused on creating sustainable results through a process that typically results in an 85% transfer of learning as compared with the usual 15 – 20% achieved in most “soft skills” management training. Through our comprehensive approach our clients receive a valuable ROI.
Whether your organization is small or large, a training program designed to fit your objectives is available. Beginning with a needs assessment, all comprehensive learning and development programs are tailored to address your specific needs and focus on the issues most requiring attention in your organization, department or team. The format, length and materials are therefore customized to support those objectives.
Generally our process includes:
- Clarification of your needs and objectives; needs assessment
- Selection or design of appropriate learning program
- Pre-training measurements, assessments
- Delivery of multi-contact training, coaching sessions and applicable participant assessments
- Interim progress checks
- Post-training measurements, assessments
- Follow-up reinforcement sessions if appropriate
Why our programs are successful for organizations
First, we work with you to understand your short and long-term objectives
- We want to understand the presenting issues and needs and the desired outcome.
- We want to understand how you want to measure benefits and results.
- We want to understand the existing culture and organizational values as well as any relevant history. Your organization’s core values and guiding principles will be integrated into the program and materials.
- We want to understand your existing business goals and identify alignment with the program.
- We want to understand your current performance competency model(s) and identify alignment.
We utilize an individualized approach
All learning and development programs include:
- One-on-one interviews – Each participant has a confidential, face-to-face meeting with the facilitator. In this session they identify their individual goals and objectives to be addressed in the training, as well as their comments on desired organizational and/or team improvements.
Individual Goals & Progress Journal – Each person is guided to identify their specific behavioral goals to be achieved in applying what is learned in the program, along with progress measurements.
- Individualized coaching sessions – Because all participants in a learning program are individuals with their own strengths and challenges, we provide individual coaching to maximize the application of learning to their own, individual performance goals. Coaching by phone and in-person accompanies the workshop sessions to reinforce skill development that is specific to the behavioral goals of each individual.
We focus on tools and practical application beyond theory
- Interactive workshop sessions focus on learning tools and techniques that are directly applied to real workplace situations and challenges, and many are also utilized by participants in their personal lives. Experiential and action-learning activities enable integration of the learning for faster transfer to behavior modification.
- Individualized coaching sessions by phone and in-person accompany the workshop sessions to reinforce skill development.
We apply pre and post measurements
Pre and post assessments for the individuals, team, or organization are selected to measure:
- Productivity, ability to focus
- Emotional intelligence competencies; emotional management
- Job satisfaction, intent to leave
- Social attitudes, relationships at work
- Goal clarity
- Communication effectiveness
- Confidence in the organization; outlook
- Perceptions of management
- The working climate; self-expression
- Team effectiveness
- Role clarity
- Organizational coherence
- Stress symptoms
- Psychological well-being
Pre-program participant survey questionnaire – A survey questionnaire specifically designed for your organization and/or team is distributed to each participant and other key individuals to gather confidential input. The collective responses are studied by the facilitator and the training format is structured to focus on key issues. Based on indicators in the survey, we provide additional recommendations to your organization.
Post training participant survey questionnaire – Approximately 60 days post program, each participant completes a post-program questionnaire consisting of several of the questions asked on the pre-program questionnaire, along with questions about how the tools learned are impacting their day-to-day performance effectiveness. We provide a pre/post comparative and program summary report to your organization.
- Overview presentations and introductory workshops
- Level One interactive workshops
- Level Two, Three, Four, Five development programs
For a precise quotation, please schedule a phone call or meeting so we can discuss your specific needs. Completion of the Needs Survey will assist us to identify the options most appropriate for your needs. Below, popular formats and standard features and options are presented. Other formats are available.
Features of Program Formats
Overview Presentation – Interactive
Length: 1.5 – 2.5 hours
Impact: Educates and informs, introduces concepts, stimulates thought, raises awareness.
Introductory Workshop – Interactive
Impact: Educates, informs and raises awareness through guided exercises and discussion with application of 1 – 2 tools. Participants receive a self-directed practice guide for self-awareness tools.
Level One –
First-level skill-building workshops
Length: One to two days consecutive or over one to three weeks. Alternatively 1 full day + 2 half-days.
Impact: Learn and practice 1 – 4 tools toward Level One behavior modification focused on self-awareness, self-regulation, and resiliency.
Level Two –
Skill-building programs with 1 to 2 individualized application coaching sessions by phone.
Length: 3 days, distributed over 4 – 6 weeks
Impact: Learn, practice and apply 4 – 5 tools for building resiliency and behavioral impact in foundational EI competencies of Self-awareness and Self-management and introduction to Empathy.
Optional components: 360 degree Emotional and Social Intelligence Competency assessment, feedback report and in-person feedback review session.
Level Three –
Skill and competency building programs with individualized goal setting and coaching consisting of 3 phone-coaching and 2 in-person coaching sessions.
Length: 4.5 to 5.5 days distributed over 6 to 7 months
Impact: Learn, practice and apply 6 – 7 tools for measurable behavioral impact in foundational and intermediate skill levels in Self-awareness, Self-management, Empathy and Social Skills.
Includes individualized behavioral goal setting with facilitator, and progress tracking.
Optional components: continuation of coaching sessions, half-day follow-up reinforcement session, 360 degree Emotional and Social Intelligence Competency assessment, feedback report and in-person feedback review session.
Level Four (Leadership) –
Comprehensive skill and competency building programs with behavioral integration. Includes individualized goal setting and coaching consisting of 4 phone coaching and 3 to 4 in-person coaching sessions.
Length: 7.5 days distributed over 8 – 9 months
Impact: Learn, practice and apply 8 – 9 tools for measurable behavioral impact in foundational and higher-level level emotional intelligence competencies, including relationship management competencies (social skills).
Includes individualized behavioral goal setting with facilitator and progress tracking, 360 degree Emotional and Social Intelligence Competency assessment, feedback report and in-person feedback review session.
Optional: continuation of individualized coaching process.
Level Four T (for intact, cross-functional and executive teams) –
Same as Level Four above with specific focus on establishing higher levels of team coherence. Includes experiential and action learning activities. Team EI and team effectiveness attributes are measured and tools for improvement are practiced by the team using real, current business issues.
Level Five (Leadership) –
Comprehensive skill and competency building programs with behavioral integration. Includes individualized goal setting and coaching consisting of 5 or more phone coaching and 5 or more in-person coaching sessions.
Length: 8.5 days distributed over 10 – 12 months.
Impact: Learn, practice and apply 10 – 12 tools for measurable behavioral impact in foundational and advanced-level level emotional intelligence competencies, including specific leadership effectiveness and relationship management competencies (social skills).
Includes individualized behavioral goal setting with facilitator and progress tracking, 360 degree Emotional and Social Intelligence Competency assessment, feedback report and in-person feedback review session; leadership style assessment.
Optional: continuation of individualized coaching process.
Level Five T (for intact, cross-functional and executive teams) –
Same as Level Five above with specific focus on establishing higher levels of team coherence. Includes experiential and action learning activities. Team EI and team effectiveness attributes are measured and tools for improvement are practiced by the team using real, current business issues.